Saturday 26 October 2019

[Review] Mooto Spirit 3 Taekwondo Shoes



Mooto Spirit 3 Taekwondo Shoes

Sometime on or around 2013, Nike exited the taekwondo market. As a result, their In-Nae taekwondo shoes all but disappeared from the market.

Prior to Nike's exit, almost 90% of taekwondo practitioners in Korea used their shoes. No other brand produced shoes that felt quite as good during training. In particular, no other brand utilised a double-sole style of construction: where the sole of the shoe was split into two separate sections (see picture below). Nike's exit therefore left a serious gap. Players were literally left without any options.

It wasn't long before Nike's competitors began to produce shoes in the same style. Brands such as Kwon, Prospecs, KPNP and others are now offering shoes constructed in almost the same manner that Nike shoes were. Of course, each brand has put their own spin on things.

Today's review focuses on Mooto's latest attempt to enter the fray: the Mooto Spirit 3 Taekwondo shoes. These shoes first appeared in the second half of 2019, although they were not available for purchase till recently. I bought a pair about a week ago and have used them for training since. These are my thoughts.


Mooto Spirit 3 Taekwondo Shoes

As with offerings from other brands, the Spirit 3 taekwondo shoes do not differ significantly from Nike's originals. The basic style remains the same. The dual-sole structure is also present (the feature, in my opinion, which made Nike's originals so comfortable and well suited for taekwondo to begin with).

Dual Sole Design

The Spirit 3 taekwondo shoes are therefore very similar to Nike's originals. With that in mind, I begin this review in earnest.

FIT

My usual size for taekwondo shoes is 270. That is the size I ordered for my Spirit 3s.

When I first tried on the shoes, I found them to be very, very snug. I therefore find that the Spirit 3s run a little tight instead of being true to size. I would recommend going up by half a size (for me, a 275 instead of a 270 would have been ideal).

That being said, as the shoes broke in after more training sessions, they loosened up somewhat and fit better. However, they remained very snug.

In addition, I find that the sole of the Spirit 3s runs narrow. I do not have wide feet, but I still feel that the sole is somewhat narrower than the width of other taekwondo shoes of the same size. If you have wide feet, you may want to consider sizing up.

COMFORT

Tightness aside, I found the shoes to be very comfortable. The sole is well-cushioned as well as the upper. I had no substantial complaints after several training sessions.

Outer elastic band

Inner elastic band

As you can tell, the Spirit 3s have no laces. Mooto has opted to use elastic bands instead. But I did not find this to be a hindrance. The elastic bands are tougher and stronger than your usual laceless shoes. They hold the front of your foot firmly in place without being too tight.

That being said, I did not like two things about the Spirit 3s.

First, I found the heel section to be a little too loose. This was probably because of the tight lock around the forefoot as a result of the tough elastic bands. There were times when it felt like the Spirit 3s would almost slide off my heel, although this never happened.

Second, I also found the soles to be a little too narrow. This was more evident on my left foot. My left sole would often roll over the footbed/sole during lateral movements. This may be because of my foot shape, so it may differ depending on who uses it.

FUNCTION

The Spirit 3s are great taekwondo shoes. The padding in the shoe protects the instep without being excessive. You get a nice balance of protection while also being able to feel what you are kicking.

Soft, breathable mesh along the medial side of the Spirit 3s

On that note, the shape of the shoe and the type of material used for the upper makes kicking very enjoyable. Kicking mitts and targets comes with a clean, sharp sound.

The Spirit 3s also do not rub against your ankle. The shoe's collar is soft and pliable, and I had no abrasions around my ankles after 2 - 4 hours of use. You can safely wear these with ankle socks.

The soles are also of a sufficient thickness. My feet felt comfortable notwithstanding that I have been training on hard concrete flooring. There is adequate cushioning and just enough "bounce" in the sole to take away the impact of training on a hard floor. At the same time, the cushioning remains thin enough to allow you to grip the floor and still perform deft footwork.

The dual sole structure allows your feet to flex and spin almost as if you were barefoot. The independent sole sections take away the stiffness of single sole shoes while retaining cushioning and support for your heel and forefoot. It was this very structure that made Nike In-Nae shoes a hit - and also the same structure that most, if not all taekwondo shoe manufacturers are currently using.

Stitching up-close

The build quality of the Spirit 3s is also very good. Glue stains are at a minimum and barely visible. The stitching is tight and properly aligned. All in, the Spirit 3s feel like they were made with care, using quality materials.

FORM

Aesthetically, the Spirit 3s look sharp. They are easily the best looking shoes produced by Mooto to date. Mooto has stuck with clean lines and a slim profile, making for a very good looking shoe. Also, it appears that Mooto has also peppered the Spirit 3s with handsome detailing. Nothing too fancy, but enough to give the shoes a premium look without being ostentatious.

 Spirit Logo in an eye-catching red

 Mooto logo at the heel

Stylised Mooto logo at the toecap

FINAL COMMENTS

The Spirit 3s are one of the best taekwondo shoes I have tried in recent years. On top of that, they come in a well-built package. I confess that I have not previously liked Mooto products in general. But the Spirit 3s are a fine turning point for me. They look great and work extremely well. The attention to detail and various features of the Spirit 3s is evident in how the shoes feel as a whole.

After training (the light blue staining comes from kicking chest protectors)

In addition, the Spirit 3s are not over-priced. They are currently being sold at around SGD$70.00. I found this price very reasonable as it appears to be fair market value.

This is a product that I think you will definitely enjoy if you are looking for a new taekwondo shoe.

Lastly, the Spirit 3s come in three colourways. I have reviewed the classic White version, but Mooto also makes them in black and "Lumi" - a new colourway with a white base but rainbow detailing. An interesting look if you are of that persuasion.

 Spirit 3s in Lumi














No comments:

Post a Comment